Many people associate fitness with a well toned body, but it is much more than just the curves. It’s a state of complete physical fitness and mental well-being.
Why is fitness important?
Staying fit is not an optional choice but a necessary routine. These days every person has to face physical as well as emotional challenges in life. Physical fitness along with that of the mind helps one to overcome these challenges and lead a healthier and active life. It is only then that your mind and body are in harmony with each other.
Healthy functioning of various organs of the body also contributes to overall physical fitness and the two are mutually dependent on each other. Having a healthy metabolism and healthy organs help remain physically fit while being physically and mentally fit help your body function smoothly, thus keeping you healthy.
It’s a common perception that people involved in sports are physically fit. The fact is that they may not be completely but partially fit. While a weightlifter might have strength and power he lacks the agility and flexibility of a gymnast, and a gymnast might not have the same endurance and capacity as a rower.
The basic 9 components that define a fit body include the following:
- Local Muscle Endurance
- Cardiovascular Endurance
- Strength Endurance
How do you increase your fitness level?
- A fit body and mind cannot be achieved in a day, it is a continuous process and can be achieved by making changes in your lifestyle. This can however be done without a personal physical trainer as well.
- Your eating habits have a direct impact on your fitness level. Constantly binging on junk food or calorie rich foods can prove to be disastrous. It is very necessary to follow a balanced and nutritious diet for your overall health and fitness.
- Walking is one of the best exercises to stay fit, moreover, you do not need to invest in a gym or any exercise equipments. A daily walk for 30 min can prove to be a boon for your health.
- You can join a dance or aerobics class; you will not only learn a new dance form but also get the required physical exercise. Dance is an enjoyable physical fitness regime that can make you happy thus keeping you mentally fit too.
- Jogging or exercising during early morning hours is the best way to enhance your physical fitness levels. An early morning jog will not only burn some calories but you will also inhale clean air that keeps you going throughout the day.
- Don’t sit at one place for long hours. Being a couch potato is a potential magnet for all sorts of diseases.
- Meditation is an important part of your overall well-being. It takes care of your mental well-being by harmonizing your thoughts and helping you to get rid of negativity. Having a positive attitude towards life is one of the major factors that contributes to a happy and healthy life.